Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

 
 
I got this one from my daughter who picked it up at an airport before a flight she took here to visit me. During her stay she finished it and left it for me to read. As I was already into a book, I put it on my bookshelf for another day. That other day was about a week ago and I wondered at the beginning if I was going to like it.
 
The subject was flowers, which I love, and how they intertwine with communication, foster care and all of the emotions wrapped up in all of those categories.
 
In the Victorian era people loved to communicate through flowers and their meanings. If a suitor sent a young lady a certain flower it may mean that he liked her. She could send a flower back that would indicate the return of the sentiment or denial of feelings.
 
In the case of Victoria, our main character in this book, she finds it hard to open up to people. Communication in any way is painful, eye contact not something she engages in. By the time she is nine years old she has been ripped from one foster care or group home to another. Mainly through her own actions out of anger.
 
But she finds, through Elizabeth who is her last hope, a way to tell people what she is feeling without actually saying the words. She learns everything about flowers and their meanings through Elizabeth. Slowly she opens up like a sunflower to the sun, only to destroy any relationship that is good because she just can't handle it. Having a truthful, love without boundaries relationship is scary.
 
Enter another person, named Grant, and I'll let you read this book in order to see how Victoria handles her own dispair, depression and fears with the help of flowers and a handful of people who let her be herself no matter what the cost to them.
 
Patience is truly a virtue.

No comments:

Post a Comment