Friday, November 22, 2013

Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith

OK. What can I say. Here goes.

As usual I picked this one up at Goodwill and when I approached the counter to pay for it along with two other books, the lady who rang me up predicted, "Oh, you're going to like this book."

"Really?"

"Yes. It's a T.V. series and it's really good."

"Oh? I  didn't know that."

"Yes. I have watched every episode."

"Well I look foreword to reading it then."

So I brought this lovely looking book home with the giraffe on it and read the front which said "The Miss Marple of Botswana" and thought that it was going to be as entertaining and quaint as Agatha Christie's books. But I have to say it fell short.

In fact I have put it down briefly in order to start a hopefully more interesting book that my father just gave me with the words, "I sat up all night and read this book. I couldn't believe it when I looked up at the clock and it read 5:00 a.m.!"

So I started that one last night and already I can see that it is going to be a better read. Not to discredit the 'No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' but it reads slow and I have yet to get in touch with the characters living within the front and back page. I should catch the TV show and see if they have dressed it up a bit with humour and character development.

Plus I have yet to read about any giraffe in the book much less witnessed any tears of said giraffe.

Ta ta.


No comments:

Post a Comment