Sunday, July 21, 2024

 



I just finished reading The Sunshine Girls by Molly Fader. When I read the last paragraph I wanted to be able to turn the page and continue reading . . . about the mysterious Kitty Devereaux and BettyKay Allen. And yes, BettyKay is one word. And I like it that way. I wondered how a girl named Kitty and a girl named BettyKay could exist in the same small universe? Was it The Universe that put them in the same room in the college dorm their freshman year? Because a "Kitty" sounded glamorous and a "BettyKay" sounded like a farmgirl and champagne doesn't mix well with cow's milk. I would be pleasantly surprised.

Of course, not only the title but the cover design caught my attention when I was looking for a book to read at my library up the street. It's a small library and I like it that way. More intimate. Not like Cameron Village which grew big during a remodeling and I never knew my way around it ever since. Why do things have to change?

That would be a good question two sisters would ask themselves once a stranger, a world-reknowned stranger, showed up at their mother's funeral.  They wouldn't need to ask who she was but rather why is she, of all people, showing up at the service? Did their mother know her? If so, how and when?

If I didn't have other things to intrude on my reading, like grocery shopping, bills, scooping a litter box, I would have gladly stayed on the couch with Molly's story in my hands. Reading until the end. It's that good. I can't say that about the last two books I've read reluctantly because I hate to leave a book half-read if someone has taken time out of their life to write it. I should give it that much respect as I would hope someone would do the same for me. 

So if you want a good summer read, then go to your nearest library, whether big or small, and check it out. Or buy it on Amazon. Whatever floats your boat. But I think this book will. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment