Saturday, June 8, 2013

Circle of Three by Patricia Gaffney


Another find at the Goodwill. First of all, the image on the cover could have been more defining of the story within. How about an Ark? The three persons that this book evolves around never sat at an iron table and chairs outside on a beautiful green lawn. All was not perfect. Uh uh.

Perhaps there should have been crossed swords on the front because the grandmother, daughter and granddaughter were always at odds. O.K., so there was a moment or two when they weren't butting heads ... but don't hold your breath for those scanty peaceful moments. A Circle? More like three individual straight lines that seldom intersect.

If the book revolved more around the main character (Carrie) and her High School love (Jess) finding themselves again in each other's arc (play on words here) then it could have been more full. Maybe more satisfying. But it is about forgiveness, redemption and starting anew. It is flooded (again a pun) with sorrow. Not a happy book.

I could see a book based entirely on the grandmother and her sarcastic and witty thinking, demeanor and barbs as she goes through her life at her age now, losing to younger people to be the heads of committees, being frustrated with her husband, confused by her long time friends. It could be a funny book, I think.

As it is I was depressed reading about a daughter that was so rude to her mother and so selfish. O.K., so she's 16 but not all 16 year olds are so awful. I don't think I could have put up with it and been so docile to all the stinging verbal arrows consistently pointed and directed into my heart and feelings. Ouch! Not nice. Sad. Let me say "Thank You" right now to my daughters for being who they are ... I love you!

So would I recommend this book? It's readable and you don't want to throw it down after the first page, so it will fill in the blanks from one book to another. But if you are looking for a real page turner, I wouldn't say that this one fits that category.

I apologize in advance to all those who disagree.




No comments:

Post a Comment