Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Story of EDGAR SAWTELLE by David Wroblewski

A friend handed me this book and I could not put it down. The author weaves a detailed story about a young boy, his dog and the life he lives in his unspoken world with his mother, father and uncle. This family is from a long line of dog breeders and they raise and train what they call Sawtelle Dogs. This novel takes you into the mind of Edgar and what it is like to live on this farm outside a small town during times when things were simpler but tragedy finds your door anyway.

If you are born with no voice are you heard?

I have to admit that the ending was far from satisfying. It basically stops in on itself and leaves you nowhere. It's the only thing I would change.

But I liked how the author described things in such detail and I learned from it. You could see the opened windows in the house which caught the warm summer breezes blowing the curtains out like a skirt. Feel the sweltering heat in the upper room of the barn where the dogs were kenneled. See the sun rising early in the morning when chores began and coffee was then sipped. Hear the night noises as you lay in a small bed upstairs thinking and trying to make sense of life.

So even though the ending left me hanging as over a cavern with invisible steps to take over it, caught in mid stride, it was still a great read and I think you will enjoy it. You can make up whatever ends soothes you.

No comments:

Post a Comment