Saturday, March 12, 2022





The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewel

It's been far too long since I have posted about books I have read. Should I blame it on life or on the fact that I have put other things ahead of posting to this blog. Sorry! But it was worth the wait for the last two books I have read have been page-turners. Must reads. Get them from the library, from your daughter as I did or buy them, but be prepared to get nothing done. You'll want to keep turning the pages, keep the light on, not sleep, and generally enjoy being emersed in the written words.

First up is The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid. I wish I could put a picture of the front cover here because I like it, but it wouldn't copy and paste. Chagrined. My daughter said, "This is a page-turner" and let me borrow it to read on a plane. Anyway, from the get-go, you are caught up in questions rolling around in your head. Seven husbands? How? Why? Were any of them any good? Did she love them all? What has this not-forgotten Hollywood star kept secret all her life that she is now ready to tell the world? As the story unfolds you wonder if this is really fiction or is it a scrapbook of pieces stitched together of real stars woven into one woman? I'll let you ruminate on that after you have read the book. 

Second up is The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewel. This one came from my neighbor. We swap books to read and I am always surprised at what an eighty-year-old will read. Obviously, nothing is too shocking for her. I'll have to tell her about the previous book, I know she will love it. At any rate, this is the first time I have read anything by Lisa Jewel, and I am hoping it will not be the last. Her characters jump out of the page and inhabit your space and you want to move over on the couch and invite them to sit down. You want to hang out with them for a while because there's definitely something going on underneath the surface. Especially where Scarlet is concerned. Would you also be drawn under her spell and want to be part of her entourage?  Do whatever she wants? Drop everything and come when she calls? It's a who-done-it that keeps you guessing and the plot keeps twisting until you don't know if your detective skills are as honed as you think. Where's Sherlock when you need him?

No comments:

Post a Comment