Friday, March 7, 2014

Rose's Garden by Carrie Brown


Wow! This book really catches the feelings of someone who has just lost their loved one after years and years of marriage, not to mention knowing the other person since childhood.

This book was found at Goodwill. Yes! Once again my Goodwill has provided an excellent read. I really liked the cover with the beautiful bird and I suppose you could say it called to me, "Pick me!" So I did along with some other books which I am sure will appear in this blog of mine as soon as I read them. Lucky you!

The bird on the cover made me feel peaceful but that is not the case with the main character in this book who finds himself without his beloved wife and friend of a lifetime. Did he just see her in the garden? Smell her in the room? Will see appear as an angel? She's gone. How does one go on?

Conrad faces many questions and doubts in his mind as he tries to go on from day to day. What day is it anyway? Does it matter? Yet those in his small town remind him of the day, what is going on and how his troubled wife helped them. How she may have changed their lives. He had no idea. Was his life changed too? That would be 'yes'. But how is his life changed now?

And then you begin to imagine what it will be like for you. Will it be as heart wrenching? Will you be able to cope? What will life be like for you afterwards in the silence of the spaces that are now empty but were filled only days, weeks, or months ago?

Why does life seem to have to seep out of one's existence drop by drop and end so alone?

It doesn't seem fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment